24 February 2010

Featured Artist: Gia


BTrilogy is proud to present the newest Featured Artist Gia. She's Coo-Coo for Cocoa Puffs and she'll stomp on your toes with her neon green Doc Martens if you throw out too many igloo/penguin/polar bear jokes since she's from Alaska [Oh, and don't even mention Palin]. She's as awesome as silly string spray, so check out this Fashionista/Aspiring Artist's exclusive Q&A:



When you were young..



a) How did you express yourself? 
I used to eat crayons and prayed that somehow, my body would absorb the colors and I would be the next big rainbow. When that didn't work out and mum took away my crayons for a bit, I cut up her most patterned clothing and Elmer glued them together to create dresses, pants, and socks. When I got in trouble, I quoted Peter Pan in the loudest way possible, "I'll never grow up!"



b) Did you like playing with (colored building) blocks?
No. Absolutely not. I preferred 64 crayons and cardboard.

c) What was your favorite ice cream flavor?
Peppermint, Birthday Cake, Mint Chip, Cotton Candy, Raspberry Sherbet.

Music:

a) Name that one song thats constantly on your mind
"Jumper" by Third Eye Blind
"Lust for Life" by Girls

b) Best singer or band
Death Cab for Cutie

c) A line from a song that seems to apply to your daily life
"Oh I wish I had a boyfriend, I wish I had a dollar and a bottle of wine"


What is/are your favorite...

a) Themes to portray in your art
Social Justice, The Shocking Aspect, the Imagination

b) Fashion Era
I'm an 80's baby, and definitely a Nylon girl. 

c) Color(s)
In art? Any color you can possibly imagine. But my favorite is lilac or emerald. 

*If you didn't live in America, where would you settle?
London, or Fiji.


*If you could do one thing out of the ordinary and not be put into an asylum, what would it be?
Skin Marc Jacobs, and wear him so I can be him for a day.

*Which do you prefer? Being hot when it's cold or cold when it's hot?
Hot when it is cold.

*Favorite movie quote
"And we'll be friends forever won't we?" "Yeah, forever"- Fox and the Hound

*First thought when you wake up
What am I going to wear? Do I really have to shower?

*How do you approach your artwork?
In the most honest way possible. I don't brainstorm, I don't construct on paper, I don't think about the process unless I am entirely sure that this is the direction I would like to move in.

*19th century corsettes, 50s saddle shoes, or Levis (Men or Women)?
Levis and saddle shoes. I can never just choose one. I honestly just don't have the figure or the bosom for a corset.

*Who is the Diva?
I'm a big diva... I'm a I'm a big Diva. Yes, Beyonce. No, Gaga.



*How would you describe art?
Art is the manipulation and interpretation of your mind. It cannot be gifted nor wrapped. Merely perceived. It has but many chairs in the art room.

*What are three things you take most pride in?
1.   My legs. My eye for new beginnings. My [un]artistic abilities. 
2. My ability to make friends from the most awkward situations. 
3. My love for the only people who know me best, my family.

*What piece of art would you want to be part of (past,present, or future)?
Definitely the past, especially as an Andy Warhol or a Anna Mendieta.

*Describe your perfect piece
My perfect piece is non existent. And it is the way I would want it.

What is one thing (or a couple of things) you find Bomb, Beautiful, and Brilliant?
That last breath of air before death. The raindrops during a storm. The Ramones picture on Bleecker Street. Nylon and its essence. My parents and their beauty they see in each other. And Calyx Gaston, for her dedication to this beautiful blog.

Below are various pieces G has worked on--using different media and explosive ideas. You must check out her blog IceFishingRunWay to find some sick fashion, let's indulge:








                                  

Make sure to check out IceFishingRunWay*







1 comment: